[tz] [tz-announce] 2018f release of tz code and data available

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Oct 25 09:54:35 UTC 2018

    Date:        Thu, 25 Oct 2018 10:59:20 +0200
    From:        Per Kristian Fjellby <p.fjellby at sportradar.com>

  | Would it be possible to host these *guard-builds on the iana.org/time-zones page

This is all going way to far.   Why would it be useful to have the
data on any IANA page?   IANA isn't resourced to be a supply
source for data to be routinely fetched by end users - if java
(or any other distribution) needs to distribute time zone data to
their users (and don't we all) they are responsible for housing a
copy of that data, and making it available to their users (the same
way as all other updates, options, and whatever...)

Aside from not imposing extra load on the IANA system, this also
has the advantage that any distribution can distribute the data in
whatever form is best for them - if 25::00 doesn't work, change it.

Stop abusing the system.

kre