[tz] zdump bug?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon Oct 29 04:25:45 UTC 2018

Robert Elz wrote:

> zdump could be taught that if its zone arg is obviously intended to be
> a filename, rather than a zone name (like it starts ./ or ../) then it should
> simply prepend ${PWD}/ to the start of it, so it gets a fully qualified name,
> which works.

zdump was designed to be independent of the underlying implementation. It
doesn't know about file names. All it does is set the TZ environment variable
and go. There is value in keeping zdump simple like this, as it provides a way
to test any string that you could set TZ to.

We could add an option to zdump which would mean "prepend $PWD to arguments not
beginning with slash", or something like that; but I suspect it's hardly worth
the trouble, as anybody who would know about the option would also know about
$PWD and can just prepend it themselves.