[tz] Ethiopia local time

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Sep 12 05:23:01 UTC 2018

admin at afocha.com wrote:
> Is it possible to include Ethiopia's local time system into the time
> zone database?

I'm afraid not, as it's based on solar time. We used to attempt to do this sort
of thing for Saudi Arabia, but gave up because to do it right we'd need a
separate table for each geographical location, multiplied by the number of
timekeeping practices (not everybody does things the same way in either Saudi
Arabia or in Ethiopia, as I understand it), and it's impractical to do this sort
of thing for either country.

As luck would have it, we recently added some documentation about this for Saudi
Arabia here:

https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/da31293a319ba5227342e236bcdadaf5d288e1f3

It makes sense to do something similar for Ethiopia, so I installed the attached
proposed patch to the development version. Thanks for the citation.