[tz] [DRAFT] EU-related changes likely ??? here???s a heads-up

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Sep 15 19:02:29 UTC 2018

Paul Eggert said:
> Clive D.W. Feather wrote:
>> I think that's a bad assumption. Unless we have the very hardest of
>> Brexits, and I don't think even Boris is that daft, EU legislation will
>> apply for at least a transition period, so we'll be following the EU on
>> this.
>>
>> Yes, I know there is still some support for summer time changes in the UK,
>> but the Irish border, in particular, will result in pressure to keep us in
>> line.
>
> Not to mention the Gibraltar border, or the borders around Akrotiri and
> Dhekelia. :-)

True.

> Although you may well be right, the only somewhat-authoritative quote I've seen
> on the topc (albeit with odd grammar) is, "A British government spokesperson
> told RTÉ News: 'The UK Government has no plans to change Daylight Saving
> Time.'".

You need to understand the code.

"no plans" means either (a) they haven't decided yet or (b) they've decided
the principle, haven't done the details, and don't want people to start
whinging before they're prepared.

Or (Yes Minister mode), since the UK doesn't have Daylight Saving Time - it
has British Summer Time - they clearly don't need plans to change it.

If they were definitely not going to do it, they'd have said something like
"The UK Government intends to retain British Summer Time after Brexit".

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.