[tz] Timezone change for Turkey as of October 28, 2018

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Fri Sep 21 17:25:06 UTC 2018

My understanding is that the following things have happened, in order…

*2016-03-27: *Turkey moved its clocks forward (to UTC+3) according to prior
practice.

*2016-09-07:* http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2016/09/20160908-2.pdf
(Law 2016/9154) indicates in Article 1 that this advanced time should
continue year-round, and in Article 2 that falling back (to UTC+2),
previously scheduled for 2016-10-30, was repealed.  And, indeed, Turkey has
stayed on UTC+3 since.

*2017-10-23:* http://www.resmigazete.gov.tr/eskiler/2017/10/20171028-5.pdf (Law
2017/10921), which you point out is the most recent law, indicates as you
state, in Article 1a, that the prior Law 2016/9154 is repealed resulting in
a resumption of DST clock changes, and in Article 1b that this would start
with clocks moving back by 1 hour (to UTC+2) roughly a year later, on
2018-10-28.
We prepared and applied a patch for this news in
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/25632eb33943fbb42220f1cc99c3f7cd070a986c

*2017-11-08:*
http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/son-dakika-yaz-saati-uygulamasi-surekli-hale-geldi-40637482
appears to have indicated that Law 2017/10921 was blocked from taking
effect.  This may have been a poor translation on our part; we understood
it to mean "DST [would] become 'continuous'" — that is, Turkey would stay
on UTC+3 indefinitely — and discussed this at
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2017-November/025518.html as Matt Johnson
pointed out.
We updated our data to reflect that understanding in
https://github.com/eggert/tz/commit/e15ef79a603a2fba89ad8f38090219b0580f31a9

If you can provide a better translation of the 2017-11-08 Hürriyet article
which helps to indicate whether we were wrong in that assumption, then we
very much would welcome that help in understanding what is going on.

Otherwise, as it stands, our current understanding comes from our
translation of that article, which has indicated that clocks in Turkey will
not be changed on 2018-10-28.  This is also why I ask whether there is any
documentation (from government, courts, or national news outlets) that is
more recent than 2017-11-08 which clarifies more definitively, as that
would help confirm what you're saying to us.  If not, we will unfortunately
probably just have to wait and see what actually happens on the ground, or
at least until we get closer to the date and further laws, statements, or
news articles clarify what is actually supposed to happen.

Unfortunately, the article Paul Eggert shared at
http://www.haber7.com/guncel/haber/2715726-2018-kis-saati-ne-zaman-hangi-tarihte-basliyor-saatler-geri-alinacak-mi
does
not seem to clarify matters.

--