[tz] stale leap seconds file at IETF

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Sep 29 09:57:04 UTC 2018

Hal Murray wrote:
> What's the procedure for getting the IETF copy updated?

The procedure is that someone turns the crank and submits a patch, e.g.:

https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2018-January/025808.html

I just now did that and installed the attached into the development version on
GitHub.

Incidentally, I hope nobody is relying on the development version's
leap-seconds.list file being up-to-the-minute. What we mainly want is for the
leap second entries to be reasonably up-to-date when a tzdb release is
generated. For times between releases there's no rush in updating the entries,
and as the leap second file's expiration date is immaterial to the tzdb project
its maintenance is low priority. If you need the latest and greatest leap second
data and/or expiration date, you should be looking upstream from us: either the
NIST, or the USNO, or the IERS, or whatever.