[tz] Issue in tz America/Santiago

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Apr 4 17:30:18 UTC 2019

On 4/4/19 7:51 AM, Alberto Jose Rivera Rojas wrote:

>  Before install the time change patch tzdata2019a the date command
> delivers the next output
>

> Thu Apr  4 11:07:36 CLST 2019
>

> After installing the time change patch tzdata2019a the date command
> delivers the next output
>
> Thu Apr  4 11:07:36 -03 2019

We changed the abbreviations to -04 and -03 in tzdata 2017a because the
alphabetic abbreviations were something we invented and didn't seem to
be used much in English. To get abbreviations in suitable for your
locale, you might look into CLDR. For more, please see:

https://data.iana.org/time-zones/tz-link.html#notation

which also should help to explain why applications should not rely on
alphabetic abbreviations.