[tz] Iceland may move from +00 to -01

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 11 18:09:45 UTC 2019

Since 1968 Reykjavík has been about 1.5 hours ahead of mean solar time.
The government of Iceland recently asked people which of three things
they wanted to do about this, and the survey results were:

   4% - educational campaign to encourage people to go to bed earlier
  37% - leave the clocks alone
  56% - change from +00 to -01

The prime minister's office is drafting a bill to implement the majority
opinion: this would undo the 1968 change from -01/+00 (with DST) to
permanent +00, and would revert to permanent -01, which was observed
1908-1916 and 1922-1938.

Although I've seen many proposals from around the world to change the
clocks, this bill seems to have a real chance of passing so I thought
I'd give the list a heads-up.

My source:

Fontaine A. Most Icelanders support changing Iceland’s time zone.
Reykjavík Grapevine. 2019-12-11.
https://grapevine.is/news/2019/12/11/most-icelanders-support-changing-icelands-time-zone/