[tz] isdst bug Europe/Dublin (tzdb-2019c)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Sat Dec 14 09:18:19 UTC 2019

Brian Inglis said:
>> [1] For example, I've ensured that the Bluetooth Mesh standard uses TAI
>> internally for all timestamps, leaving the leap second mess to the
>> periphery.
>
> How does TAI get set given that mostly UTC is distributed and LS need to be
> added to get TAI? Or do you mean an arbitrary TAI timescale ignoring LS?

No, that's what I meant by "the periphery".

The management device - perhaps your phone or in a big site one of the
servers - has to know all about time zones and leap seconds. But if you
want 87 lights to turn on at exactly 06:23:45 tomorrow, you don't need
those 87 light bulbs to all have to manage time zone and leap second
tables [1]. The main network just sends out times as TAI/UTC seconds since
an epoch.

[1] This isn't a joke. A major use case for Mesh is controlling lights in a
large building without lots of cables to light switches: the switches can
be little battery-powered things that sit on a desk or are stuck to the
wall.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.