[tz] Timekeeping in the news

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Dec 25 03:28:24 UTC 2019

On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 at 22:03, Howard Hinnant <howard.hinnant at gmail.com>
wrote:

> 11h...  Sure smells like a time zone issue.  Such as not taking time zones
> into account, or taking them into account incorrectly.  Fwiw, there’s an
> 11h difference between Cape Canaveral (launch site) and India (popular
> location for outsourced programming).

I have seen speculation on Twitter (unsubstantiated, of course) that it is
related to the difference between Cape Canaveral (currently UTC-5) and
the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan (UTC+6).  But anything of that sort
would of course raise the question of why *any* local time is being used
rather than UTC.

It would be great to know the facts...

Indeed.  I've only seen the phrase "11 hours" in reports, but of course, if
that's being used as an approximate figure rather than an exact one, there
could be any number of other possible causes.

--
Tim Parenti