[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links (was: Add new timezone for Hanoi Capital, Vietnam)

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Wed Feb 20 12:37:17 UTC 2019

I strongly oppose this patch. At least one zone per ISO 3166-1 is a
vital part of this project and an entirely sensible rule. It is what
users expect the project to provide.

TZDB identifiers are used incredibly widely, and are seen on many
public-facing systems. I understand that is not seen as desirable by
some here, but it is the truth. When a country splits, it is usually
for painful reasons. The idea that the half of the country should be
forced to use the old identifier simply isn't tenable.

Stephen