[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Feb 26 08:59:47 UTC 2019

Phake Nick wrote:
> I don't think localizing the identifier would solve much of the problem
> like user at Hanoi would most probably not know they need to select
> Asia/Bangkok to be the right timezone for them even if you localize the
> identifier.

Sorry, you misunderstood what I wrote.

As I already wrote in another reply I just meant that the names
presented in the user interface should be localized. Obviously this is
sometimes the case, sometimes not, and sometimes in a different way, and
it would be good to make it easier or more obvious to show consistent
information to a user.

For example, people living in Liberland may not appreciate very much
that they have to select a timezone Europe/Belgrade just because
Liberland is located at the same longitude, and happens to use the same
DST settings as Europe/Belgrade.

So it would be sufficient to add Liberland to CLDR or whatever provides
a mapping, so that Liberland can be selected for the time zone settings,
and this is the label that should be localized.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy