[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 20:22:15 UTC 2019

On Feb 26, 2019, at 11:56 AM, Paul Gilmartin via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> On 2019-02-26, at 12:18:15, Guy Harris wrote:
>
>> There's a company that makes a handheld device that
>> 	1) uses the "determine my time zone automatically" method
>> and
>> 	2) offers a display that shows multiple date/time displays, each one configurable to a location.
>> That combination works Just Fine.
>
> In:  https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/16818/why-does-aviation-use-zulu-time-instead-of-the-local-time
>
> ... read the paragraph containing "Hopi".
>
> Ugh!

Deborah, do the maps Apple has for tzdb regions (for location-to-region mapping) handle that case?  (And does the software handle non-simply-connected regions?)

> If I set my device to "Airplane Mode" should it automatically switch to Zulu?

Not if Core Location can and does use the accelerometer, in airplane mode, as an inertial guidance system - or if the GPS isn't turned off in airplane mode, which may, in fact, be the case.

Otherwise, the question is whether the user's more likely to get confused by 1) switching to UTC or 2) remaining in the time zone you were in when you got the "handheld devices" message from the flight attendants.