[tz] tzdb timezone names/identifiers and links

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Feb 28 10:29:35 UTC 2019

Guy Harris wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2019, at 9:54 AM, Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2019-02-26 at 01:48 -0800, Guy Harris wrote:
>>> All they want is that the clock face on their smartwatch/clock on
>>> their smartphone/clock in the bar at the top or bottom of their
>>> screen display the correct current date and time, that their file
>>> manager report the correct creation/modification date and time for
>>> files, etc..
>>
>> Not always!
>>
>> For example, we make an embedded IoT product that allows up to six
>> date/time displays to be shown simultaneously, each configurable to use
>> a different time zone. In that particular use case, the 'determine my
>> time zone automatically' method is not only irrelevant, but can be
>> positively harmful.
>
> There's a company that makes a handheld device that
>
> 	1) uses the "determine my time zone automatically" method

It depends on what is used to determine the time zone automatically, a
geolocation which can be ambiguous if you are close to some border, or
e.g. the telecommunication network used by your handheld.

Even the latter can be wrong.

For example, I've visited the Canary Islands located in the Atlantic, in
zone UTC+0, but these islands belong to Spain which is located in the
zone UTC+1, so my handheld selected UTC+1 automatically, and I had to
correct it manually to UTC+0 to have the real local time.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy