[tz] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island resort

Paul.Koning at dell.com Paul.Koning at dell.com
Fri Jan 18 00:58:52 UTC 2019

> On Jan 17, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Deborah Goldsmith via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:
>
> Apparently, this resort in the Maldives has its own time zone and observes GMT+06 year round, unlike Male at GMT+05. It looks like we’d need a new zone for this.
>
> Source:
> Internal reports and:
> http://conradglobalmediacenter.com/assets/CNRD/docs/FactSheets/ConradMaldives/ConradMaldivesFactSheet_v5.pdf
> (search for “Local Time”)
> I wasn’t able to find any source contradicting this information.
>
> Apparently it’s a known issue that Maldives resort islands have their own (unofficial) time zones:
> https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zone/maldives

While the TZ database as I understand it tries to reflect the reality on the ground even if it conflicts with official viewpoints, I wonder how far it should go in accommodating what feels like a "private timezone".  It's one thing to reflect the reality within a region whose administration is disputed, as happened recently.  But this case seems different and I wonder whether it should be ignored.

If it is decided to support this, presumably all the other private timezones mentioned in that timeanddate page would also be.  How many are there?  If these are private decisions, there is no reason that two organizations which happen to use the same rule today will still do so tomorrow, so we might end up with one zone per resorts.  Having more timezones in Maldives than in the USA seems a bit strange.

	paul