[tz] DST ends 2040 in Oracle database

Fri Jan 25 21:40:52 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-25 12:46, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Although tzdb's traditional .zi (text) files for New York have no expiration
> date, its traditional TZif (binary) format was limited to signed 32-bit
> timestamps and so stopped working after 2038. As Brian Inglis noted here:
>
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-January/027431.html
>
> the TZif year-2038 problem was fixed in 2006. However, as Sergiusz Wolicki noted
> here:
>
> https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/tz/2019-January/027432.html
>
> the Oracle compiler stops at 2040, inspired by the earlier TZif limit. So if you
> need to predict timestamps past 2040 you'll need to fix the Oracle compiler, or
> use some other compiler to translate the .zi files.

I believe the Oracle tzdb compiler is an internal tool which generates time zone
files which can be downloaded as patches for RDBMS DSTv?? with a support
contract from the support site.

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/nlspg/datetime-data-types-and-time-zone-support.html#GUID-805AB986-DE12-4FEA-AF56-5AABCD2132DF

says:

"Note:

Oracle Database time zone data is derived from the public domain information
available on The IANA Functions website. Oracle Database time zone data may not
reflect the most recent data available on this website."

The link to Oracle TZ and DST patches is in:
https://support.oracle.com/knowledge/Oracle%20Database%20Products/412160_1.html

How to check new tz files with DB upgrade script utltz_upg_check.sql, and make
changes with DB upgrade script utltz_upg_apply.sql is in:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/18/nlspg/datetime-data-types-and-time-zone-support.html#GUID-8815B03F-473E-4E77-919B-7A3066442C21

How to use those scripts at a larger site:

https://mikedietrichde.com/2018/12/18/how-to-patch-all-pdbs-with-the-a-new-time-zone-file/