[tz] How long will the rearguard formats continue be provided?

Fri Jan 25 21:59:50 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-25 12:10, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Mark Davis ☕️ wrote:
>> There will be major implementations using the rearguard format into the
>> indefinite future
> That's fine. We don't distribute the binary data either, even though billions of
> computers use that data and the binary data files are portable. Downstream users
> can run 'make' (or whatever) to generate the binary data, and they can run
> 'make' (or whatever) to generate rearguard data too.

Most OSes and distros run or port zic to build the standard data and most OS
libraries use that data. Other platforms which don't use zic or tzdb data, or
update their tools to be consistent, may fall behind, use may diminish, and
support may be dropped, encouraging other projects to drop the platform.