[tz] DST ends 2040 in Oracle database

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 30 07:32:45 UTC 2019

Joachim Damm wrote:
> Our software is for the pharmaceutical industry and there it is not acceptable if the expiry date of an active ingredient  is calculated wrongly.

Not many drugs made today have an expiration date past 2039.

Also, if an ingredient labeled "expires 08/07/2019" is made in Puerto Rico and
used in Germany, do the applicable FDA regulations say that the date should be
interpreted in Puerto Rico time or in German time? If the latter, does this mean
that if (say) Germany cancels DST, then such an ingredient would expire one
real-time hour later than it would otherwise?

PS. When I was younger one of my jobs was to go through the drugs in a pharmacy,
check their expiration dates, and toss the outdated ones. Who knew I'd still be
worrying about this stuff years later? :-)