[tz] [PROPOSED] Cite Rec. ITU-R TF.460-6 for leap seconds

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Jul 4 19:59:45 UTC 2019

Steve Allen wrote:

> In addition to the listed changes I suggest being more specific about
> the meaning of UT1 in leapseconds.awk by defining what is meant by
> "space".

Space is a fairly large topic and I'm not sure we need to go that far.
leapseconds.awk's readers typically don't need to know things like Newcomb's
Tables of the Sun and it'll save us work to just cite good leap second sources
and get out of the way. For example, ICRF (used to define UT1) changed in
January, and we dodged the hassle of updating leapseconds.awk by not mentioning
ICRF there.

In looking this over, though, I see that leapseconds.awk was a bit
overenthusiastic about what UT1 is, and I attempted to make it more accurate via
the attached patch.