[tz] Java & Rearguard

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Jun 1 03:00:48 UTC 2019

Brian Inglis wrote:
> For the current period of Ramadan where some time zones vary, what should the
> label be now: the equivalent of Location Ramadan Time, and should the preceding
> or following period label be Location Summer Time?

That naming convention would not hold up, I'm afraid. Although Ramadan occurs
during northern-hemisphere summer this year, the Islamic calendar is lunar and
does not stay in sync with the Gregorian calendar, and by 2026 Ramadan will be
occurring during northern-hemisphere winter.

We don't have to worry about inventing a naming convention for this in tzdb, as
it is using the labels +01 and +00 for time in Morocco.