[tz] Java & Rearguard

Matt Johnson mj1856 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 10 13:27:55 UTC 2019

With regard to:
> CLDR is trying to maintain timezone strings that are suitable for Java (as almost nobody
else uses them)
> We don't know who all uses the timezone names from CLDR...

I'd just like to point out the obvious - LOTS of other things use the CLDR time zone names data.  Some go through ICU and some use CLDR directly.

A few examples:

- The DateTimeFormatter class built in to Windows UWP
- The JavaScript Intl.DateTimeFormat object, and the Date.toString, Date.toLocaleString and Date.toLocaleTimeString functions built in to most modern web browsers.
- The IntlTimeZone::getDisplayName function in PHP
- The get_timezone_name function in Python's Babel library
- My TimeZoneNames library for .NET

There are lots more, I'm sure.  I don't think it's appropriate to demote the issue to a Java-specific problem.