[tz] Oregon to join remainder of US West Coast with permanent DST?

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Mon Jun 10 15:25:15 UTC 2019

On 07/06/2019 20:38, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 6/7/19 11:57 AM, Paul Gilmartin via tz wrote:
>> What is the effect on tm_isdst?  Do they care whether their documents
>> are timestamped PDT or MST?
>
> As far as I know these questions have not been addressed, and quite
> possibly they won't be addressed even if the law changes so we'll just
> have to do our best. If (say) California changes to permanent -07 then
> the longstanding tzdb tradition would be to mark it as standard time
> (i.e., tm_isdst = 0); presumably it would be abbreviated "MST" for
> compatibility with Internet RFC 5322 and the like. No matter what we put
> into tzdb at that point, we'd undoubtedly break something and get
> complaints.

It may be confusing if large parts of the west coast are on "Mountain
Time" as suggested by "MST".  It seems like a good excuse to follow the
more recent tradition of replacing alphanumeric abbreviations with
numeric ones.

--
-=( Ian Abbott <abbotti at mev.co.uk> || Web: www.mev.co.uk )=-
-=( MEV Ltd. is a company registered in England & Wales. )=-