[tz] Crimean timezones

Sergij Marchenko makars at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 23:03:59 UTC 2019

Dear Mr. Eggert,

I am reaching out to you as to the IESG-designated TZ Coordinator, as you
are listed here: https://www.iana.org/time-zones

Let me preface my letter with assuring you that I am reaching out in good
will.

I live in Ukraine. As a longtime Linux user, I was disappointed to notice
that in my timezone settings that one of Simferopol is being assigned to
the Russian Federation. Apparently, my preferred desktop environment, along
with several others, pulls this data from the project you maintain.

The statement that Simferopol (or Sevastopol, or any other Crimean city,
for that matter) is situated in Russia contradicts the official stance of
the United States, Canada, the counties of the European Union, and many
others. Suffice it to say, the international community never recognized
Russia's claims to Crimea as valid and the so-called "referendum" as
legally binding.

The Unites States of America was also a signatory of the Budapest
Memorandum on Security Assurances, which guarantees the territorial
intergity of Ukraine.

Let me add that the annexation of the Crimean peninsula in 2014 was only
the first step of the Russian aggression against my country. The war in
Donbas led by Russia is still ongoing and has costed dozens of thousands of
Ukrainians their lives. As of 2016, the International Criminal Court
officially recognized the war in Donbas as Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

Russia and its allies has also put a lot of effort in spreading
misinformation about the conflict, attempting to portray Ukraine as a
far-right state and the Euromaidan protests as a coup. As an eyewitness to
these events, I can assure you that it can not be further from truth, and,
should you be interested, I can provide multiple sources that debunk this
propaganda.

Therefore, I humbly ask you to research this delicate matter. Once you have
confirmed that pro-Russian sources are completely misinterpreting their
far-from-innocuous role in the tragedy that shattered numerous families in
my country, I hope that you will consider submitting corrections to your
project and list all Crimean cities and respective timezones as Ukrainian.
This would assure its compliance to the international standards, from both
legal and moral viewpoint.

I remain open to dialogue and would gladly answer any further questions you
may happen to have.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

--
Best regards,