[tz] Timezone in Autonomous Republic of Crimea and spelling of Kyiv

Oleksandr Ryzhenko gacryzhenko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:41:27 UTC 2019

*Dear Mr. Paul Eggert,*

By this letter let me as the representative of Ukraine to ICANN's GAC
inform you about the following.
The State Agency for e-Governance of Ukraine is the national authority of
Ukraine that is responsible for matters related to Internet governance,
including those within the purview of ICANN.

We have discovered mistakes in the Time Zone Database. In particular, the
time zones, country code and coordinates for the part of Ukrainian
territory, namely the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, the city of
Simferopol, and Sevastopol, are determined incorrectly. As far as we are
aware, the Zone Europe/Simferopol was changed to MSK on the grounds of
Russian Federation citizen appeal (Mr. Alexander Krivenyshev). The appeal
was filed after Russian military intervention in Autonomous Republic of
Crimea followed by the illegal annexation of the sovereign territory of
Ukraine.

We would request your immediate attention that change of this specified
time zone is a gross *violation of the rules of international law*, namely:

-         United Nations General Assembly Resolution 68/262, adopted on
March 27, 2014 by the sixty-eighth session of the United Nations General
Assembly in response to the Russian annexation of Crimea, entitled
"Territorial integrity of Ukraine";

-         United Nations General Assembly Resolutions 71/205, 72/190,
73/263: Situation of human rights in the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and
the city of Sevastopol (Ukraine);

-         United Nations General Assembly Resolution 73/194: Problem of the
militarization of the Autonomous Republic of Crimea and the city of
Sevastopol, Ukraine, as well as parts of the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.

Taking into account the above, we urge you to resolve this situation by
determining
*EU EE%sT *time for *Zone Europe/Simferopol *in Time Zone Database and
identify *UA* as a country code for* Europe/Simferopol.*

At the same time, we draw your attention to the decision of The United
States Board on Geographic Names. *English spelling of Ukraine’s capital
has changed* from Kiev to *Kyiv* (source:
https://www.kyivpost.com/world/kyiv-not-kiev-us-changes-spelling-of-ukrainian-capital.html).
In this regard, we ask you to update the spelling of Kyiv in all existing
databases of your organization.

*Sincerely,Oleksandr RyzhenkoHead of the State Agency for e-Governance of
UkraineRepresentative of Ukraine to ICANN’s GAC*