[tz] More irrelevant political disputes about identifiers and labels

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Fri Jun 21 20:24:16 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-22 01:39:36 (+0530), Brian Inglis wrote:
> Perhaps this would be a good time to reduce the dispute surface by
> removing all country codes, all compatibility links, and all English
> time zone abbreviations, from all time zone data files, generating
> POSIX %z abbreviations.

...thus making the tz database impossible (or at least substantially
more difficult) to maintain and understand.

> Alternatively, as time zone data is binary system information
> essentially unrelated to the Internet, and the IANA connection seems
> to be increasing the irrelevant disputes and politicking on the list,
> find an alternate host for the list and the database, perhaps in the
> non-GNU sections of the GNU organization, or somewhere more neutral,
> such as an open source organization or site in Scandinavia or
> elsewhere.

Or simply continue to point one-off politically motivated contributors
to the tz mailing list to the conventions and policy documents and let
the threads die out quickly.

I like Paul's constructive approach to these discussions and admire his
patience!

Philip

--
Philip Paeps