[tz] More irrelevant political disputes about identifiers and labels

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Fri Jun 21 23:17:49 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-06-21 at 15:33 -0600, Brian Inglis wrote:
> They or their interface are choosing the wrong zone 06/0040 instead
> of 06/0072:
> no Europe, Simferopol, or Kiev to bother about!

Sure! But let's not lose sight of the benefits, in terms of ease of
database maintenance, that those 'real world' identifiers bring as
well. Getting rid of them in tzdb really solves nothing, but merely
makes it Someone Else's Problem while increasing the overall global
complexity of the system.

Keeping the current identifiers sounds like a pretty good tradeoff to
me if the only cost is having to educate the occasional under-informed
person who raises the issue. Most of the ones I've observed here have
proven to be very understanding once the relevant parts of
'theory.html' have been pointed out to them.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. |             Chief Developer             |
|                           |             Paravel Systems             |
|   Politics is like coaching a football team. You have to be smart   |
|   enough to understand the game but not smart enough to lose        |
|   interest.                                                         |
|                                                      -- Anonymous   |