[tz] Daylight saving and heart attacks

Paul Gilmartin PaulGBoulder at AIM.com
Mon Jun 24 21:29:22 UTC 2019

> On Jun 24, 2019, at 1:33 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>
> To my mind the more-concerning health effects of daylight-saving time occur not during the twice-yearly transitions, but during the time that DST is in effect - which is the whole year when a location uses "permanent DST". Unfortunately these effects have not been studied as much, although experts are warning us that these effects are worrisomely negative …

The most likely consequence of "permanent DST” is that people will
recognize that winter mornings are too dark and health is affected and,
over decades, adjust their hours of activity, nullifying the effect.

There’s a precedent.  Reading The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
(Matthew 20:1-16 (KJV)), it appears that the modern timekeeping convention
is 6 hours in advance of the convention at the time of that writing.  Yet
people don’t begin their activities at 0100, take their siesta ("6th-hour")
break at 0600, or retire at 11:00.  We have adjusted to the hours of
daylight, regardless of how they’re numbered.

— gil