[tz] Petition to abolish local time in Sommarøy, Norway

Paul.Koning at dell.com Paul.Koning at dell.com
Wed Jun 26 13:31:43 UTC 2019

> On Jun 26, 2019, at 3:06 AM, Even Scharning <tzdb at time.is> wrote:
>
> NRK.no revealed today that this story was in fact a marketing campaign, hatched by the government-owned Innovation Norway.

That's very disturbing.  It's problematic enough that not all governments give timely notice about time zone rule changes.

But if in addition we have to deal with government agencies supplying deliberately false information, the TZ work becomes that much more difficult.

I wonder if it would make sense for Dr. Eggert to issue a letter of complaint to the Norway government, pointing out the trouble caused by this sort of false information.  It might even make sense to state that doing so will cause us to treat future (possibly real) change notices with doubt and not act on them promptly, as we normally would do given that we normally assume government notices are not deliberately false.

	paul