[tz] Petition to abolish local time in Sommarøy, Norway

Even Scharning tzdb at time.is
Wed Jun 26 16:05:03 UTC 2019

On 2019-06-26 16:31, Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2019, at 3:06 AM, Even Scharning <tzdb at time.is> wrote:
>>
>> NRK.no revealed today that this story was in fact a marketing
>> campaign, hatched by the government-owned Innovation Norway.
>
> That's very disturbing.  It's problematic enough that not all
> governments give timely notice about time zone rule changes.
>
> But if in addition we have to deal with government agencies supplying
> deliberately false information, the TZ work becomes that much more
> difficult.
>
> I wonder if it would make sense for Dr. Eggert to issue a letter of
> complaint to the Norway government, pointing out the trouble caused by
> this sort of false information.  It might even make sense to state
> that doing so will cause us to treat future (possibly real) change
> notices with doubt and not act on them promptly, as we normally would
> do given that we normally assume government notices are not
> deliberately false.
>
> 	paul

It was rather obvious that this was a publicity stunt, and I think most
media and people reading the story understood that. The reason that the
media still took the bait, was that it made a cute story. The only real
surprise here is that the idea came from a government-owned agency.

Anyway, I support the suggestion of writing a formal complaint. It would
give even more publicity to my home country. ;)

Even Scharning
Time.is - exact time for any time zone
https://time.is/