[tz] Proposed Change to Maine's Time Zone *No Current Action Needed*

C Yohman chance.yohman at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:01:47 UTC 2019

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

I'm putting this on the periphery, in case it comes to pass (Probability:
infinitesimal). Variations come about every decade. Not that it matters in
this context, but the change would make sense for the eastern half of the
state with commerce ties to New Brunswick and The Maritimes. Not so much
for the western half of the state where the commerce ties are strong to New
Hampshire & Massachusetts. That's just a slice of the perspective.
Ironically, the two measures were introduced by two southern Maine
representatives.

approaches to eliminating the time change. Rep. Chris Kessler of South
Portland’s bill would move Maine into the Atlantic time zone, which would
mean the state would no longer set clocks back in fall.

Rep. Donna Bailey, of Saco, has proposed keeping Maine in daylight saving
time all year if the federal government also does so. Florida passed a
similar bill."

Source:

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/03/07/bills-would-say-good-night-to-daylight-savings-time-in-maine/
(Limited access. Google Chrome -> New Incognito Window is your option for
multiple free views)

Further Sources:

https://wgme.com/news/local/bill-would-move-maine-into-atlantic-time-zone

Rep. Kessler & Rep. Bailey have been contacted for the Reference LD # or
further information.

Sample email sent:
Representative Kessler,

Citizen of Waterboro, Maine here (work in Portland, commute through a
sliver of South Portland), but I read your name is attached to one of the
bills.

"Rep. Chris Kessler of South Portland’s bill would move Maine into the
Atlantic time zone, which would mean the state would no longer set clocks
back in fall."

https://www.pressherald.com/2019/03/07/bills-would-say-good-night-to-daylight-savings-time-in-maine/

I have no opinion on the matter, but if there was a change there would
likely need to be a change to tzdata, the database that keeps track of
timezones across the world.

https://www.iana.org/time-zones

Ultimately, at a basic level, it allows you to set the correct timezone on
your electronic devices.

What is the LD number for the measure, or where can I read the proposed
text to understand the proposed change better?

Regards,
Chance Yohman