[tz] "Washington House OKs step toward year-round daylight saving"

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Mar 10 19:30:10 UTC 2019

I've stopped keeping track of all the proposed US legislation to end daylight
saving time. Bills have been introduced or passed in states ranging from Alaska
<https://www.abc27.com/news/local/state-lawmaker-proposes-to-eliminate-daylight-saving-time/1829835736>
to Wyoming
<https://www.wyodaily.com/story/2019/02/14/news/daylight-saving-time-bill-dies/8596.html>.
None of the bills that have become law have changed civil timekeeping in any
way, and I suspect that this is by design.

Most Americans want to stop fiddling with the clocks twice a year. Some want to
move one timezone east (so-called "permanent DST"), while others want to stay on
permanent standard time. Although the former typically outnumber the latter, any
change will be controversial and state legislators prefer doing nothing to
dealing with the blowback that would come from any real change. I suspect this
is why many legislators seem to be happy to do what the Washington House has
done, which is to pass a bill that doesn't really do anything, and blame the
problem on Washington.