[tz] Spelling of Ukrainian cities #KyivNotKiev

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu May 9 18:54:54 UTC 2019

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 09:07:34AM +0300, Vitaliy Stavropolskiy <stavvit at gmail.com> wrote:
> transliteration from ukrainian 'Київ'), however, as a Ukrainian, I feel
> irritated every time when I have to choose my timezone and see the wrong
> spelling (in my country we have the only one official language, it's

I can understand that, however, maybe it helps you to realise that these
"timezone names" are really just internal identifiers for database use,
and interfaces that ask you to choose a timezone shouldn't directly
present them to the user.

So the best way to improve the situation would probably to improvew timezone
selection interfaces so they no longer force users to choose somewhat crytic
and misleading timezone IDs, but use a better interface, such as selecting a
geographical location.

For example, tzselect uses Europe followed by Ukraine followed by another
choce, none of which list Kyev.

So, each time you get irritated, you could put that energy into trying to
improve that specific interface maybe.

      ----==-- _       generation
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de