[tz] Spelling of Ukrainian cities #KyivNotKiev

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun May 12 07:55:31 UTC 2019

On May 12, 2019, at 12:33 AM, Vitalii Stavropolskyi <stavvit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see your point and thanks all for the explanation of how it should work.
> The main idea, as I understood, that software vendors haven't to use internal tzdb keys in UI. And I understand that it's hard to change keys.
>
> I have started communication with software vendors, but they often refer to the tz database,

Tell them to stop doing so.

And explain to them that the name of a tzdb zone is *N*O*T* an authoritative source for the name to be used for the city that happens to be used for the zone name.  Tell them to read

	https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html#naming

very carefully, and if they still refer to the tz database after reading that, tell them to read it *again*, as they clearly didn't understand what they were reading.