[tz] Estimate for a new tzdb release with Brazil rules.

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue May 14 09:49:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 07:53, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:

> Rodrigo Brüning Wessler wrote:
> > For many reasons, use the development repository is not easy for us.
>
> Whatever the reasons are, in the long run it should be better to fix those
> bottlenecks than to worry overmuch about whether there will be an official
> release now or some weeks from now. There shouldn't be that much trouble testing
> and/or using a version named "2019a-14-g9e498e2" as opposed to testing and/or
> using a version named "2019b".

FYI, the Java definition says this when querying the list of available versions:
https://docs.oracle.com/en/java/javase/11/docs/api/java.base/java/time/zone/ZoneRulesProvider.html#getVersions(java.lang.String)

     * The exact meaning and format of the version is provider specific.
     * The version must follow lexicographical order, thus the returned map will
     * be order from the oldest known rules to the newest available rules.
     * The default 'TZDB' group uses version numbering consisting of the year
     * followed by a letter, such as '2009e' or '2012f'.

The ordering allows the versions to be sorted, and the latest one
selected. If users want to have their own versions, I'd strongly
suggest something sortable, not something based off a git hash, such
as 2019a-patched-2019-05-14.

(In any normal Java release, there is only ever one version present,
so it could be argued the point is moot. But the spec does allow for
there to be multiple versions as it is an extension point, so the
issue could arise)

Stephen