[tz] Estimate for a new tzdb release with Brazil rules.

Paul.Koning at dell.com Paul.Koning at dell.com
Thu May 16 17:57:53 UTC 2019

> On May 16, 2019, at 12:53 PM, Tim Parenti <tim at timtimeonline.com> wrote:
>
> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>

> On Thu, 16 May 2019 at 06:57, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
> Further, since we got lots of advance notice of the Brazil change, which
> is what we always say we want, we should be providing positive feedback
> for that good behaviour by making sure that all distributors have the
> best possible chance of making the updated rules available long before
> they are to take effect, so when that happens it will be as seamless as
> possible, and perhaps act as an example for others how to manage things
> to avoid needless disruption.
>
> +1 to providing positive feedback.  Our strategy for releases has more or less been "only when there's something that has become urgent", which sends an undesirable mixed message: Why should one provide ample notice for their changes if their timely dissemination relies on someone else failing to provide ample notice for their own?

That's a good point.  I would suggest a goal that any change properly submitted will appear in a tzdata release within a month.  "Properly submitted" means there is an authoritative official statement of the rule change, with the detail necessary to turn it into a tzdata rule.

Such a guideline would reward those who use the system properly.  And it also implicitly says that we don't necessarily deliver changes any sooner than a month, so if you get it to us with one week lead time you may be out of luck for three weeks.  This is as it should be.

The "properly" rule also means that it's clear news paper articles, blog entries, and rumors are not submissions and don't start the one month clock.

	paul