[tz] Estimate for a new tzdb release with Brazil rules.

Paul.Koning at dell.com Paul.Koning at dell.com
Thu May 16 19:03:43 UTC 2019

> On May 16, 2019, at 2:59 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>

> [EXTERNAL EMAIL]
>
> On 5/16/19 10:57 AM, Paul.Koning at dell.com wrote:
>> That's a good point.  I would suggest a goal that any change properly submitted will appear in a tzdata release within a month.  "Properly submitted" means there is an authoritative official statement of the rule change, with the detail necessary to turn it into a tzdata rule.
>
> I could go along with something like this, though I don't want to
> guarantee any specific schedule. It could be that a change (like
> Brazil's) is not urgent and that later changes need some time to
> percolate through the system, for example. With that in mind, I'll try
> to generate other low-priority changes that are consequences of email to
> this mailing list that haven't been acted on, or are other changes I've
> been meaning to do. We might as well batch them in while we're putting
> out the Brazil change.

I specifically said "goal" to make it clear this is no guarantee, and you could make the wording even more plain and explicit.  But it does seem useful to have a loose upper bound.  The notion of rewarding those who plan ahead is a good one.

The other benefit in getting information out reasonably soon is that it helps with situations where the back end processes take a long time.  While some software streams may have weekly updates and can deliver a new tzdata dump to end users within a month or so, other products may have much longer delivery cycles.  If you tailor your delivery to how quickly Android releases are cycled, things get tight for embedded system products that don't move so fast.

	paul