[tz] need testing for new tzdb release for Brazil changes

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Mon May 27 18:02:52 UTC 2019

DONATELLA SABELLICO wrote:
> Do you know when the Timezone package will be released'

We plan to get a new release out reasonably soon, and well before November.
However, there is no fixed schedule or specific plan. In the meantime I suggest
that you test your software by using the tzdb development version and reporting
your results back. You can currently retrieve it by running this command:

git clone https://github.com/eggert/tz

I would like more testing by people other than myself. It's quite possible that
the next release will have problems and I want to hear bug reports and "it's all
OK!" reports back. I'm not hearing anything, which leads me to suspect that a
new release must not be that urgent.

Here is one longstanding issue that I would like to see progress on:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/tzupdater-readme-136440.html#issues

That is, Oracle TZUpdater fails to handle the forms of DST currently used in
Ireland and Morocco, and historically used in Czechoslovakia, Japan and Namibia.
Although this was reported as a P3 (major loss of function) bug in January 2018
<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8195595>, I am not plugged into the
JDK development effort and don't know what sort of progress is being made here.

Ramanand, you're assigned that bug report. What's the status of the fix for this
issue, and of testing the fix? Have you tested with data taken from the current
tzdb development version? Although I doubt whether the Brazil changes themselves
will cause problems with TZUpdater I've been surprised in the past, and also the
next release will contain changes not related to Brazil, so I'd appreciate some
feedback here.