[tz] uptodate data

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Wed Nov 13 19:59:32 UTC 2019

Jean,

Per theory.html <https://data.iana.org/time-zones/theory.html>, "[a]lthough
a named location in the tz database stands for the containing region, its
pre-1970 data entries are often accurate for only a small subset of that
region."  In particular, pre-1970 data in America/Chicago is only intended
to be correct for Chicago, IL, so timestamps for the example locations you
gave (Duluth, MN; Conway, AR; Port Arthur, TX) may of course differ
according to local custom at the time.

Pre-1970 data is not considered in the scope of the tz project: "Although
1970 is a somewhat-arbitrary cutoff, there are significant challenges to
moving the cutoff earlier even by a decade or two, due to the wide variety
of local practices before computer timekeeping became prevalent."

--
Tim Parenti