[tz] UK Lords "Discontinuing seasonal changes of time" publications

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 14 20:57:51 UTC 2019

The EU Internal Market Sub-Committee of the UK House of Lords has
published oral and written comments on proposals to abolish DST
transitions in the UK, and are preparing a report.

The main comment that caught my eye was from Google's Jonathan Skeet
<https://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/eu-internal-market-subcommittee/discontinuing-seasonal-changes-of-time/written/105223.html>.

Skeet underscores the utility of announcing changes long in advance. He
goes into considerable detail about "Europe/London" and other tzdb
names, negative DST in the Republic of Ireland, "permanent" DST, "BST"
and other time zone labels, and so forth.

The complete list of published comments can be found here. This list
contains a copy of the comment that I circulated on the tz mailing list
on August 5.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/eu-internal-market-subcommittee/inquiries/parliament-2017/discontinuing-seasonal-changes-time/discontinuing-seasonal-changes-of-time-publications/