[tz] WSJ follows AP to Kyiv

Peter Ilieve peter at aldie.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 11:29:19 UTC 2019

> On 19 Nov 2019, at 08:42, John Hawkinson <jhawk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> p.s.: I read neither the BBC nor the Economist with any regularity so I can't speak to them as a knowledgable reader like I can for the NYT, but the Economist appears to remain with "Kiev" and the BBC seems to have plenty of Kyiv refereneces, most recently with https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50458521, "Russia returns Ukrainian boats seized off Crimea" dated Nov. 18.

The BBC now favours Kyiv. The BBC Academy page about names at
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/en/articles/art20130702112133537>
now says "Kyiv not Kiev".

This is a recent change. I looked at this page after one of John's
earlier postings, either the 3 October or 14 August one, and at
that point it still said "Kiev not Kyiv".

I don't read The Economist, and they sell their syle guide as a
printed book so I couldn't find it online, but a quick search
suggests they still prefer Kiev. Hits for Kyiv seem mainly in
the comments.

Of the four "quality" newspapers in the UK, The Times and the
Independent (the ones I read) use Kiev. The Times sell their
style guide as a book. I could't find an Independent style guide
but I did find this, from this January:
<https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editors-letter/independent-articles-house-style-language-placename-kiev-derry-myanmar-a8747896.html>
That confirms they use Kiev, but may be open to changing at some point.

The Telegraph style guide (<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/style-book/>)
has nothing about Kiev/Kyiv. A search shows the website uses Kiev,
except for names, like the football club Dynamo Kyiv. Another example
is a hotel review at
<https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/ukraine/kiev/hotels/>.
They name the hotel as InterContinental Kyiv but use Kiev everywhere
else in the text. Unfortunately it is undated, so isn't good
evidence of current usage.

The final one of the four, the Guardian (and its Sunday stablemate the Observer)
use Kyiv. Their style guide at
<https://www.theguardian.com/guardian-observer-style-guide-k> says
"Kyiv not Kiev; but chicken kiev".

--