[tz] WSJ follows AP to Kyiv

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 19 22:01:56 UTC 2019

On Nov 19, 2019, at 1:03 PM, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> 1)  What are the thresholds to change the official Zoneinfo Path, not just an alias or other name, but the Path, of a Zone?

theory.html doesn't appear to address this.

On 2008-03-18, some name changes were made:

	Calcutta -> Kolkata
	Saigon -> Ho_Chi_Minh

Both reflect changes made well before 2008; for example, the respelling of Kolkata occurred in 2001:

	https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/09/02/492447039/tk

The first of those changes is the one closest to Kiev vs. Kyiv - the latter isn't just a respelling, it's a renaming, and apparently also corresponded to the incorporation of some other districts outside what was Saigon into the city.

> 2)  How to handle any alias to the old name(s), when the official Path is to be changed (per #1)?

Presumably, the same way that those other changes were made; a Link line is added to the "backward" file, so the old name remains for backwards compatibility, as a link to the new name (at least if you're using a file system that supports links).

> 3)  What historical precedents are there on this matter (I've been trying to look through the change logs), to further validate justification (of #1)?

Perhaps Calcutta -> Kolkata, although that one may not have been as politically sensitive as this one.