[tz] WSJ follows AP to Kyiv

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 19 23:48:39 UTC 2019

On Nov 19, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> You're right, I should have said ...
>  - Technical:  Historically UTF-7 _printable_ US/NIST ASCII (again, circa '86) -- _hereafter_ merely referred to as UTF-7
>
> I think the rest of this became an issue with my using an abbreviation (UTF-7) after defining it

UTF-7 is defined as "A Mail-Safe Transformation Format of Unicode" by two RFCs:

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1642

and its successor

	https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2152

(I think both co-authors of those RFCs are on this mailing list.)

The abbreviation should be used *only* to refer to the mail-safe transformation format of Unicode specified by those RFCs, not for anything *not* a 7-bit transformation format of Unicode.

So please don't use "UTF-7" unless you're talking about support for full UTF-7-encoded Unicode city names in tzdb ids; if you're not, just speak of "printable ASCII" or "printable US/NIST ASCII" or whatever, as that will reduce confusion.

>> We use "Rome" rather than "Roma" because we want "mainstream English spelling".
>
> Correct, and people keep bringing up why that should be changed.

Presumably meaning "why the requirement for "mainstream English spelling" should be changed" (not "why the tzdb ID for that region should be changed to Europe/Roma, as I've seen nobody ask for it to be changed).