[tz] 'Australia/Canberra' time zone?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sat Nov 23 17:05:11 UTC 2019

Paul Gilmartin via tz <tz at iana.org> writes:
> On 2019-11-22, at 23:06:01, John Pye wrote:
>> I have been a bit surprised that the TZDATA database lacks a listing for
>> "Australia/Canberra", population 350,000...

> ???
> 637 $ ls -l /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Canberra
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  2197 Sep 17 15:57 /usr/share/zoneinfo/Australia/Canberra

Yup, it's there, as a link in the "backward" file:

Link	Australia/Sydney	Australia/Canberra

I speculate that the OP is on FreeBSD, or some other platform where
they don't install the "backwards compatibility" links by default.

Maybe we should lobby FreeBSD to install those names so they're
more like everybody else.  I got burned by their incompatibility
in this area just the other day [1].

			regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/12931.1573846697%40sss.pgh.pa.us#2b21fa65bcc069567a1901f398604680