[tz] 'Australia/Canberra' time zone?

Philip Paeps philip at trouble.is
Sun Nov 24 06:22:09 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-24 16:13:57 (+1000), Garrett Wollman wrote:
> On November 23, 2019 10:56:28 PM EST, Philip Paeps <philip at trouble.is>
> wrote:
>> I follow tzdata releases pretty closely and try not to diverge from
>> upstream.  Not installing backzone links predates my maintaining
>> tzdata in FreeBSD.
>
> I chose not to install the "backward" zones in the hope that this
> would more securely deprecate the then-recently-obsoleted old-style
> names like "US/Eastern", and then maybe they could be completely
> removed from the distribution if other downstream consumers (only a
> few operating systems at that point, no language runtimes) would do
> likewise.
>
> Unfortunately, these ancient compatibility links never got deleted, so
> "backward" now contains a mix of ancient and more recent compatibility
> links, and users are still using them (or being told to use them by
> documentation that should have been updated decades ago).

Thanks for the context, Garrett.

I have no strong opinion about whether to install the backzone links in
FreeBSD or not.  If the majority of other operating systems install them
though, FreeBSD should probably do so as well.  If we're currently the
only ones not installing the backzone links ... that's just silly. :-)

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer