[tz] 'Australia/Canberra' time zone?

John Pye john.pye at anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 24 11:35:01 UTC 2019

Thank you both for the clarification. I understand better now how
locations are decided for inclusion in tzdata; it is not at all to do
with size/importance as I had assumed, but about maintaining a minimal
set of zones with a single representative city from each one selected to
be used as the label. Software should never have to ask a 'regular
person' what their timezone is, but instead to ask for their location,
and then make use of some kind of location-to-timezone lookup routine.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/timezone/intro

https://metacpan.org/pod/Geo::Location::TimeZone

https://pypi.org/project/timezonefinder/

Cheers