[tz] zoneinfo version?

Fri Sep 20 22:42:58 UTC 2019

On 2019-09-20 15:16, Paul Eggert wrote:
> On 9/20/19 12:25 PM, Paul Gilmartin via tz wrote:
>> No such file on Linux where I had looked for "2019c" that I expected.
>
> Different distros do this differently. In the reference installation, you can
> find the version number in a comment in /usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi, and this
> file is available in Fedora 30. However, Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (an older release)
> lacks /usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi, I assume because Debian's installation
> procedure predates the addition of tzdata.zi (first available in tzdb 2017c). I
> have filed a bug report with Debian about that.
>
> If it doesn't already, macOS should also distribute tzdata.zi; perhaps a reader
> who uses macOS can file a bug report about this.

Not a problem in most distros as package versions are available thru package
manager metadata, even to unprivileged users

$ apt list|show tzdata
$ dnf list|info tzdata
$ zypper info timezone

and on the web:

https://pkgs.org/download/tzdata or timezone (SuSE) or zoneinfo (BSD)

and that site also lists package contents.

I don't see any point or value in any distro including any of the input data
*.tab sources etc. in binary packages, and most could do with adding LICENCE,
NEWS, README, and *.html to doc dirs.

WSL is handy for checking details across distros, but sometimes adds its own
artifacts, and no BSDs appear to be available yet:

$ ls */usr/share/doc/tzdata/
cygwin-32/usr/share/doc/tzdata/:
LICENSE  NEWS  README  theory.html

cygwin-64/usr/share/doc/tzdata/:
LICENSE  NEWS  README  theory.html

debian/usr/share/doc/tzdata/:
changelog.Debian.gz  changelog.gz  copyright  README.Debian

fedora/usr/share/doc/tzdata/:
README  theory.html  tz-art.html  tz-link.html

ubuntu/usr/share/doc/tzdata/:
changelog.Debian.gz  copyright  README.Debian

$ ls -1 */usr/share/zoneinfo/{*.*,Msft/*}
cygwin-32/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
cygwin-32/usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi
cygwin-32/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
cygwin-32/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab
cygwin-64/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
cygwin-64/usr/share/zoneinfo/sha512.sum
cygwin-64/usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi
cygwin-64/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
cygwin-64/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab
debian/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
debian/usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list
debian/usr/share/zoneinfo/Msft/localtime
debian/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
debian/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab
fedora/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
fedora/usr/share/zoneinfo/Msft/localtime
fedora/usr/share/zoneinfo/tzdata.zi
fedora/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
fedora/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab
suse/usr/share/zoneinfo/Msft/localtime
ubuntu/usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab
ubuntu/usr/share/zoneinfo/leap-seconds.list
ubuntu/usr/share/zoneinfo/Msft/localtime
ubuntu/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
ubuntu/usr/share/zoneinfo/zone1970.tab