[tz] tz database update on a publication & thank-you.

Andrew Gierth andrew at tao11.riddles.org.uk
Mon Aug 3 22:44:31 UTC 2020

 > On 7/30/20 9:19 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
 >> Thank you for the heads-up. I submitted a note about this to the
 >> RISKS Digest <https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/> as I think your
 >> takeaways deserve wider circulation.

 Paul> That note was published yesterday, here:

 Paul> Eggert P. Hospital lab tests delayed by "Twilight Zone" births. RISKS
 Paul> digest 32(16). 2020-07-30. https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/32/16#subj9

A related issue that came to my attention a couple of years ago is that
of America/St_Johns, which until 2011 had a DST transition one minute
_after_ midnight, resulting in non-contiguous days on the backward
transition. (There are a few other historical examples of such zones.)

At least Chile (America/Santiago) and, last I looked, some other South
American timezones still have transitions at exactly midnight.

--
Andrew.