[tz] Change Request: Europe/Kiev to Europe/Kyiv

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Aug 15 22:19:08 UTC 2020

On 8/13/20 10:01 AM, Victor Perov wrote:

> https://github.com/eggert/tz/pull/27

Thanks for bringing that to the mailing list (if I could shut off GitHub pull
requests I would).

> Popularity is a volatile thing, and can't be used in systems which supposed to
> be consistent.
That's an argument for avoiding change when in doubt, no? People have used
tzdb's "Kiev" spelling for decades, and it will be a hassle for tzdb to change
the spelling even if it's wrong. I'm not saying that the spelling should never
change, merely that tzdb has historically been slow to change spellings and
there are technical reasons for its inertia.

Many sources are using "Kyiv", as you mentioned; but many are also using "Kiev".
A Google web search today from Los Angeles reports about 48 million results for
"Kyiv" and about 108 million for "Kiev", and a Google News search reports about
4.1 million for "Kyiv" and about 9.4 million for "Kiev". This (admittedly
quick-and-dirty) sanity check suggests that "Kyiv" is not yet the consensus
spelling.