[tz] Change Request: Europe/Kiev to Europe/Kyiv

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sat Aug 15 23:34:29 UTC 2020

On 8/15/20 3:52 PM, John Hawkinson wrote:
> I do not think we have handled this well; we have not given Victor Perov a good answer. Indeed, to some extent we've made it a "runaround." We can do better.
>
> We should take the time to write up a good lengthy explanation of the issues ("boilerplate")

Hmm, well, when others send me boilerplate text about other things, I feel like
*I'm* being given the runaround. I prefer an individualized response.

Admittedly this issue has become repetitive on this mailing list, and perhaps I
should just respond privately (boilerplate or not) and note on the list that I
responded.

> Please see https://docs.github.com/en/github/building-a-strong-community/creating-a-pull-request-template-for-your-repository

When I tried those instructions they didn't work for me. The green button that
would have created a new file .github/pull_request_template.md never became
highlighted.

Also, if those instructions had succeeded would they have created a file
.github/pull_request_template.md in the tzdb development repository? If so, I'd
rather not do that as I don't want tzdb development to depend on GitHub-specific
features. Likewise for the idea of maintaining a GitHub pull-request history; I
don't want to get into the business of maintaining or depending on
GitHub-specific features.

If this sort of thing continues to be a hassle there's a simple fix, which is to
move the development repository to somewhere other than GitHub that does not
insist on my babysitting pull requests.