[tz] timezone DB distribution

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Aug 20 07:14:29 UTC 2020

Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2020-08-19 15:16, Michael Douglass wrote:
>
>>> Hence my suggestion that whatever Juergen is developing not require that
>>> end users download the tz database separately; it should bundle the tzdb,
>>> and provide updates when the tzdb is updated.
>> tzdist?

I'd really appreciate if tzdist would be more adapted and used.

> tzdist server implementations?

I think there is at least one implementation available.

What I'm wondering is if there are client implementations that can
update the local TZ rules on the fly so that systems that are running
continuously automatically start using the updated rules once they have
become available.

> Leave it to the distro or platform to do the job as quickly as any other
> downstream org.
>
> Org update policies may be a bigger delaying factor than tzdb, distro, or platform.

And what about the IoT stuff and othere embedded systems for which there
is no distro that is maintained and updated regularly?

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 5281 9309-414
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/martinburnicki/

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Websites: https://www.meinberg.de  https://www.meinbergglobal.com
Training: https://www.meinberg.academy